Entertaining on Wheels
Bringing Back the Bar Cart this Summer
By Sebastien Centner
A Classic Era Entertaining with Sophistication
A bar cart is a portable entertaining system that adds a stylish vibe reminiscent of the classy 1950s and 1960s. Whether you choose a glamorous gold-and-mirror cart or prefer a traditional rustic wood feel, bar carts don’t need to be in the corner as storage for glassware. Fill them with mini plates of tasty tapas and wheel them around for your guests to sample. Or mix up a summertime sangria such as this recipe below and allow everyone to serve themselves.
Citrus Moscato Sangria
• 1 grapefruit, peeled and cut into segments
• 2 oranges, peeled and cut into segments
• 1 blood orange, cut into slices
• 2 clementine mandarins, cut into slices
• 10 kumquats cut into slices
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 1/2 cup orange liqueur such as Grand Marnier
• 2 cups chilled blood orange sparkling beverage
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 1 – 750 mL bottle chilled Moscato wine.
1) Put the citrus fruit slices and segments in a pitcher. Add the honey and orange liqueur, let macerate for at least 30 minutes.
2) Add the chilled blood orange sparkling beverage, moscato wine, lemon juice and ice. Mix well. The citrus moscato sangria can be served immediately or kept refrigerated for a couple of hours before serving.
3) When serving the sangria use a spoon or fork to put some of the citrus pieces into each glass.
Mini kobe burger • Creme brulee foie gras • Lobster pogo with wasabi cream • Fiddleheads with olive oil, red & yellow peppers
Sebastien Centner is the director of Eatertainment Special Events & Catering, one of Canada’s leading event and catering companies. A regular contributor to Homefront, Sebastien can also be seen on The Marilyn Denis Show, The Loop and ET Canada offering entertaining ideas and inspiration to Canadians across the country. www.eatertainment.com
Follow Sebastien on twitter @sebcentner
Follow Eatertainment on twitter @eatertainment or on instagram@eatertainment.
Thanks to Executive Chef Christopher Matthews for composing this bar cart menu.
Photos: Bruce Gibson